About Me

My photo
I'm author of The Snipesville Chronicles. I'm also a published academic historian, but don't hold that against me.Oh, and I'm a Brit. I just happen to live in Georgia.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Put REAL Food In Schools!

How do you feed a kid on $1 a meal? The answer: Badly. Believe it or not, that's the USDA's allowed cost of school meals' ingredients. Join Time for Lunch, the Slow Foods USA National Day of Action to put real food in schools, and stop... serving our kids junk. National launch is tomorrow, but you heard it here first: Sign the petition and share with friends!

Why not get kids on board, too? For historical perspective, I strongly recommend Chew on This, the kids' version of Fast Food Nation. My 10-year-old son loves it, and he is fascinated by how recently we have developed our national reliance on fast food. He is also increasingly aware of the difference between real food and fake food, even the supposedly healthy stuff.

No comments: